Sunday, February 22, 2009

Beach Blanket Bablon, Slumdog Millionaire, with Lamb Curry

This past weekend we went to see the infamous San Francisco Institution, Beach Blanket Babylon at the Club Fugazi on Green St. It's safe to say that between the both of us, we gave it mixed reviews. Bridget was entertained, but I don't feel like I need to see it again. I thought it felt like a really loose premise, distracted by too many pop culture references, sometimes awkwardly introduced and rarely executed well. I understand that it changes weekly, so maybe we saw a bad show, but I don't think I'll be back.

Before the show we went to Capps Corner for dinner. We had planned to go to Il Polliao for dinner, but after taking the scenic route (we didn't get lost) and circling for parking we didn't have time to wait for a table. Capps was a pleasant alternative; cozy, family style Italian conveniently located a few doors down from Club Fugazi. They really pack 'em in at this restaurant, we were sat at a four top with another couple. We split one entree (baked eggplant), and they charged a $10 split plate fee. Not a huge deal because the check totaled $34 and the meal came including minestrone, and a green salad. The autographed photos on the wall were pretty cool, including a Christopher Lloyd from his days on TAXI. We both agreed that we'd go back to Capp's for sure, but only with a large group.

Saturday Night, we went and saw Slumdog Millionaire at Santana Row. We had Deja Vu whilst trying to park, (took us 15 mins). The movie was intense and presented very well. Very excellent tight sound editing with an exciting soundtrack. None of the actors blew me away, though. The story put a contemporary game show twist on a classic brother vs brother theme. I thought the most interesting parts were the depiction of the slums of Mumbai. The imagery alone was impressive, but coupled with good directing/pacing, I felt immersed in the story with the characters. I didn't think it could win best picture, but I was just proved wrong not 30 minutes ago.

Sunday night, Bridget cooked a Lamb & Spinich Curry with fresh naan for dinner. We play this game where we take turns choosing a recipe for the other to cook for dinner, and tonight was her turn to cook. It turned out quite excellent. I will be encouraging her to cook more Indian food for me, although I am sensitive that it is a lot of work for which I'm very appreciative.

Also watched Dune today. (1984, directed by David Lynch) As I just finished the book, I was anxious to see the on screen adaption. HOLY CRAP DID THIS MOVIE EVER SUCK!!!! Hopefully they get it right with the next remake scheduled for release in 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment