Tuesday, March 3, 2009

How to read hip

Tonight I decided to watch Factotum. You know, the Bukowski movie. Shortly after starting the movie, I think "I should read some Bukowski". That's right, I've never read any. I know vaguely who he is. I've heard many a friend mention the name, especially those friends I consider hip in the realm of reading. Then I realize, I'm not a hip reader, but that I'd like to be.

So this may be a bit of a blog of solicitation, to find out how to read hip. What do I start with? Do I just start by reading anything I can get my hands on? I want suggestions. I want to get started. I want to be able to converse on Kafka and Hemmingway, to suggest books to others. As I stand now, this is not very possible. So please anyone out there who is really into reading, suggest away. I'll do my very best to get on it.

How do I read hip? Is it really even possible? Or is it all subjective?

What I'm reading now:

The Big Rock Candy Mountain - Wallace Stegner
Watchmen - Alan Moore (yes, I stole the idea of reading this from men's book club. whatevs)

3 comments:

  1. I would say you were "inspired" to read it, rather than you stole the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be my friend on GoodReads.com (you too, Ama!). You'll see my reading list, Sadie's reading list, Carrie's reading list, etc.

    And welcome to the club!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is completely possible to read hip. come over to the dark side. :-)

    a good start for bukowski is post office.

    ReplyDelete